Grannie Smith

Since graduating from grad school (haha), I've found myself with unprecedented amounts of free time (most of which are supposed to be dedicated to finding a job). However, as you can imagine, I've decided to use this time for my own purposes, namely knitting. This is what's been going on in the past month or so.

Photo0002

This is the majority of the Grannie Smith Cardigan, designed by Melissa Wehrle. I am in love with the idea of lacy cardigans (if sometimes not the outcome; my version of Serrano came out miles too small and had to be given away to my mom) and want to make several more. I love this pattern. It's well written and easy to follow, and obviously Melissa put a lot of time into the details. She's written several more patterns; some are free on Magknits and some are available for purchase on her website.

The only major changes I'm making are giving it 7 buttons instead of 5 (which required some re-doing of math and ripping of button bands) and subbing the yarn.

Photo0006

The pattern calls for Rowan Kid Silk Haze. As I wasn't sure I was going to love this, or love knitting with it, I subbed in Crystal Palace Kid Merino, which is 28% kid mohair, 28% merino, and 44% nylon. It's about the same, well, without the silk of the Rowan yarn, and only about half the cost, which is a bonus. I was afraid I would hate the yarn and that it would be a little itchy like other mohair stuff I've made, but this looks like it will be just fine. I ripped out a major mistake in one of the fronts with no trouble, but had a heck of a time undoing some badly-executed buttonholes. I hope to not be ripping any more of it out, but the button bands aren't going on nicely. All that's left is the collar and sewing the armhole, sleeve, and side seams! I'm excited: this will be a relatively fine-gauge sweater (on size 4s) in about a month. I'm inspired to do more. There will be another Serrano for me (this time in the correct size and gauge) and another lacy cardigan that I'm going to design myself, probably in a sport weight.

In other news, I'm starting to seriously send out job applications. Wish me luck!

Comments

Dove Knits said…
Good luck with the job hunt! Ekk!

I love the color for your Grannie Smith.

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing Escargot

Liquorice Allsorts Socks

My 2012