Irresistable

With some wonderful hand-dyed yarn I purchased a while back, I decided to try out the Shetland Triangle from Wrap Style. Here is an image of a sort of swatch in progress. Of course it's really not a swatch, it's the beginning. Who cares! I'm going to block the living daylights out of it anyway. Lace totally agrees with my knitting style -- intricate in thought and execution, yet without backtracking in preparation.



I have an opinion question: I will soon be knitting 2 lace scarves, one in a variegated and one in a solid yarn. Variegated yarns tend to give me trouble when choosing a pattern. I'm not sure whether to choose a small-scale pattern or a larger one. Any opinions?


Here's an opinion of mine. While I love the efficiency of a swift and ball winder, I far more enjoy the aesthetics of a hand-wound center-pull ball of yarn. Compare below:



For me, hand-wound balls tend to fall apart less, particularly when thrown into a bag for storage, and just make me happy because they look so characteristic.

Comments

Sarah said…
I totally agree with you about the hand-wound balls of yarn - but then again I'm too cheap to buy a ball winder when I can do it myself, so it's all I've ever known. Hey, what happened to that white lace you were knitting?
reluctantMANGO said…
Lovely lace! I'm taking to it as well these days, and I've found that larger scale patterns are better for variegated yarns... smaller scale patterns tend to get lost, IMHO. That said, I find myself with mostly variegated yarn, and lots of textured patterns I'd like to knit. What's a girl go do?
Anonymous said…
That looks purty...I have yarn to make that shawl...i guess I should start it at some point...

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing Escargot

Liquorice Allsorts Socks

My 2012