As I had said, I got a lot of knitting done over Christmas; not all of it resulted in finished objects but I reached a few milestones.
Works in Progress
I really hate when my wrists get cold in the winter, sticking out between my coat and my gloves. So I'm making gloves with extra-long cuffs to help alleviate that problem.
I'm using one of my favorite Interweave Knits patterns, a 2003 do-your-own calculation glove pattern for any gauge. I'm using Trekking Color and #1 needles, and I'm happy with the subtle variegation I'm getting. I've also modified the palm section with short rows to better mimic the shape of a hand. More about that when I get both gloves finished I think.
Here is my most recent attempt to try and show the true color of this yarn, Brown Sheep Wildfoote, which is unstoppably difficult to photograph. I think I made a mistake on these socks; I didn't like the fabric I got on #2 needles so I switched to #1... and now, as you might have guessed, they're a little snug. Oh well. I'll finish the second one, and move on. Maybe give them away if they really don't fit.
Blocking to the proper size!
The pattern says that the sweater pieces will look unimaginably small before they're blocked, and that's certainly true. I'm about 5" into the body and I can't fathom how it's going to fit around my body, but I'll run with it.
I like the pattern, the lace, the yarn, and for a sweater on #2 needles, it's working up very quickly. Or maybe that was just the hours and hours of TV I was watching over vacation.... In any case, I'm excited to wear this sweater when it's done.
My boyfriend's dad made me a really cool box for Christmas for me to store and display my socks in:
It's made of walnut and cherry and a few other things, and has a little inlay at the corners. It's the coolest thing I've seen in a while, and looks great with all my bookcases and other wood stuff in the living room. This photo is a little misleading: I have more socks to display, but they were all drying from being washed.
In that photo you can also see a few of the lovely things I got for Christmas: a skein of Cherry Tree Hill Potluck on top; 2 skeins of Claudia Handpaint in Bearded Iris on top, second from the right, and 2 balls of Lang Jawoll in lavender, in the middle on the bottom, destined for Eunny's Bayerische Socks.
And last but not least, some Crystal Palace Kid Merino:
Which will become Melissa Wehrle's Grannie Smith Cardigan, for which I already have the pattern.
I'm excited to knit lots of things from my stash in the new year -- I have enough yarn for three sweaters, 6 pair of socks, 3 lace shawls... I think that will keep me busy for a while, and it will help my other goal of saving enough money to visit my boyfriend extensively when he is living in Spain this spring and summer.
I use heel stitch to reinforce the heels of my socks because it's tight and dense. Usually you work it on a top-down heel flap; on an even number of stitches it's:
Row 1 (RS): *Sl 1, k 1* to end
Row 2 (WS): Sl 1, p to end.
For my toe-up short row heels, I started it after I began increasing on the second half of the heel, adding stitches into the pattern as I could.
I think I may have run out of catching up; now I'll have to knit some more.