Other Knitting

A little while ago, I heard at my LYS that they were going to contribute to a project to help needy children in an orphanage in Kazakhstan. The coordinator is the owner of a LYS in Kentucky, who adopted children from the orphanage. In that part of Kazakhstan it gets very, very cold; the orphanage is run on a very limited budget and the children need warm things made of wool, as the synthetics won't keep them warm.



So I made a sock. Of course, I'll make the other one. Maybe I'll make more than this pair. It's not much, but I don't think I do enough to help other people. There are so many projects that knitters can contribute to... and it's wonderful to see that knitters can make an impact.

As far as I know, my LYS is going to donate as many items as they can collect, but I don't think they've publicized it yet. For more information about the primary project, see Knit-On's website.

Haven't done much other knitting lately. I keep thinking about finishing that leafy sock, but the marathon in the car was almost too much for me. I've gotten past the ribbing and into the body of the back of the sweater, but not very far.

School starts for me on Wednesday; Thursday and Friday I'm going to have my first experience teaching discussion sections. Quite frankly, I'm terrified. Oh well -- have to jump in with both feet, I guess! Wish me luck!

Comments

reluctantMANGO said…
What a great way to help! I'm sure the ladies in our knitting group would love to pitch in... perhaps you can tell us more at the next meeting - moving to 9/11/06 to miss Labor Day!
Sarah said…
Actually my friend just got back from the peace corps in mongolia, and she worked in a kazak town, speaks the language and everything - she's a knitter, I'll let her know too - I'll raid the stash and see if I can turn out a hat or something. Don't worry about teaching, but just be prepared for silence - and know most of them don't care one way or the other.
Dove Knits said…
Ew, discussion groups. You'll be fine, but like rangersarah said, they usually don't care.

That's a great way to help. A year ago I made a few hats and scarves and donated them to a homeless shelter I worked at (I asked first, because most places don't take handmade donations due to short supply). There's also Project Dulaan, if you want to knit more stuff.

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing Escargot

Liquorice Allsorts Socks

My 2012